A simple guide to WordPress speed optimization and how to make slow websites load faster.
1. SiteGround was rated the #1 host in 30+ Facebook polls (polls here:
2. P3 Plugin doesn’t work anymore (use GTmetrix Waterfall or Query Monitor plugin to find your slowest loading plugins)
3. WP Rocket was rated the #1 cache plugin in most Facebook polls and has options to setup Cloudflare + StackPath CDN, plus other features most cache plugins don’t have (lazy load, database cleanup, hosting Google Analytics locally). If you use WP Rocket you don’t need WP-Optimize for database cleanup.
4. MaxCDN got bought out by StackPath:
5. My new GTmetrix report (OMM is my main site):
My WordPress speed optimization tutorial shows you how to fix items in your GTmetrix report (and other speed testing tools). I cover minify, caching, image optimization, content delivery network and much more.
I would start with the free stuff, then move on to paid solutions like faster hosting or MaxCDN (now StackPath). Also, if after configuring WP Fastest Cache you still see minify, caching, add expires header, or specify a cache validator items in GTmetrix, I recommend configuring WP Rocket instead, then using these settings:
Deactivate/replace plugins: 1:02
Faster hosting: 2:31
Cache plugin + MaxCDN: 4:48
Serve scaled images: 8:11
Specify Image dimensions: 9:52
Lossless image compress: 10:09
WP Optimize to delete garbage: 11:32
Update WordPress: 12:14
Lightweight WordPress theme: 12:56
MaxCDN (Now StackPath CDN):
WP Fastest Cache Tutorial:
Yes, I used affiliate links… I also donate $3,000/year to GoFundMe campaigns, so I appreciate you using them
Have questions about your WordPress speed? Leave a comment and I’ll be glad to answer them.